Meet your must have Christmas side dish. Homemade Stuffing with sausages, apricots and chestnuts. It’s SO GOOD, it’ll be the star of the show!
You’ll love this Stuffing recipe because:
✅ So quick and easy to whip up.
✅ Fruity and full of flavour.
✅ Easy to make in advance.
FAQs about the Homemade Stuffing Recipe
Can I make this in advance?
Yes. Mix it up and cover and keep in the fridge, and then bake from the fridge. It may take an extra 5 or 10 minutes, be sure to check it’s cooked through. It will keep uncooked in the fridge for 2 days.
Can I freeze the stuffing recipe?
Yes, mix it up, cover it and put in the freezer for up to a month uncooked. Then allow to full defrost before baking as normal.
Do I need to use apricots/chestnuts?
No, you could substitute them for other dried fruit. They are what gives this stuffing the gorgeous texture though!
Which sausages should I use to make stuffing?
Any good quality sausages you and your family enjoy, which have a high meat content. I tend to use a fairly plain one without too many other flavourings as we are adding lots in the recipe.
Can I use dried sage?
Yes, but add it in when you pan fry the onions so it softens in the butter.
What type of Chestnuts should I buy?
You can buy them peeled and precooked, in a vacuum pack in most supermarkets (particularly if you’re making this around Christmas time!)
More roast dinner side dish recipes?
- Braised Red Cabbage – Packed with apples and spices
- Colcannon Recipe – The best mashed potato!
- Parmentier Potatoes – Crunchy, crispy, garlic covered potato cubes
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this recipe. Please rate the recipe using the ⭐️ by the recipe.
Also, if you’d like to show me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
The Best Stuffing Recipe - with Sausages and Apricots
- 50 g Butter
- 1 Large Onion
- 900 g Sausages
- 100 g Dried apricots
- 180 g Chestnuts The peeled, vacuum packed type
- 100 g Breadcrumbs I like Panko
- 15 g Fresh sage
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Pan fry the chopped onion in the butter for 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together, along with the onions and butter that they were cooked in.
- Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed (you may need to use clean hands!) and spoon into a shallow dish. (Don't smooth the top, as the lumps and bumps give a good texture.)
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
Ian Milton says
It’s not over clear ? Presume you skin the sausages and chop finely the chestnuts and apricots
Absolutely delicious, made this recipe this evening and it is so tasty. Definitely my new go to stuffing recipe going forward