Easy Braised Red Cabbage – the perfect make ahead vegetable side dish. Slow cooked with spices and apples.
Would Christmas lunch be Christmas lunch without Braised Red Cabbage?
A sweet and sour tang that takes the humble cabbage to something special, it’s one of my most favourite festive dishes.
It can also be made well in advance and even frozen, then just warmed through on the big day. Hurrah!
You’ll love this Braised Red Cabbage recipe because:
- Easy to make ahead and freeze.
- Delicious sweet and sticky tang.
- So colourful, looks super festive on the table!
How long does braised red cabbage keep?
The finished dish will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month.
Why do I need to add vinegar?
It’s really important to add vinegar when cooking red cabbage, as it’s what keeps the gorgeous red colour.
How do I reheat the Braised Red Cabbage from frozen?
Microwave – You can microwave from frozen, just keep stirring every few minutes. Depending on the portion size it will probably take about 10 minutes.
Hob – You can heat on the hob from frozen, just out into a lidded saucepan and keep stirring every few minutes. Depending on the portion size it will probably take about 10 minutes. It may need to have a little extra water added if it starts to dry out.
Oven – You can heat in the oven from frozen, just out into a lidded casserole dish and stir every so often. Depending on the portion size it will probably take about 20 minutes at 180C. It may need to have a little extra water added if it starts to dry out.
Tips for making the Braised Red Cabbage Recipe with Apple:
- A mandolin is really useful for making this dish or any type of coleslaw. I use this Adjustable Mandoline Slicer.
- It make take between 1.5 and 2 hours to cook, depending on how finely you’ve shredded the cabbage. Just test at 1.5 hours.
- This freezes really well, pack into freezer containers when cold, then defrost and reheat (either in a saucepan, the microwave or the oven) when required.
- Sprinkle some pomegranate seeds and fresh herbs on top to serve if you’d like to.
More vegetable recipes?
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this recipe. Please rate the recipe using the ⭐️ by the recipe.
Also, if you’d like to show me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
This post was originally published on December 20, 2017 and updated and republished on December 15
Braised Red Cabbage with Apple
Braised red cabbage - the perfect make ahead vegetable side dish. Slow cooked with spices and apple.
- 1 Red cabbage Shredded
- 2 Red onions Chopped
- 3 Cooking apples Peeled, cored and chopped
- 75 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 75 g Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 100 g Cranberry Sauce Optional
- Salt and Pepper
- Pomegranate seeds
- Fresh parsley Chopped
Preheat the oven to 140C.
Put all ingredients apart from the cranberry sauce into a heavy, lidded saucepan and mix well.
Put the pan, with lid on into the oven and bake for 1.5 - 2 hours until the cabbage is tender.
When cooked, stir through the cranberry sauce and season with salt and pepper.