This post may contain affiliate links.
An easy and delicious Chicken Kebab recipe. This recipe includes a tasty yoghurt marinade. These chicken kebab skewers are so versatile, they can be grilled, baked in the oven or cooked on the BBQ. A new healthy version of your favourite Greek takeaway.
If there’s one food that reminds me of summer holidays, it’s a Chicken Kebab.
When I was in my 20s, my lovely BFF, Naomi and I were often adventuring (that might be a bit strong, laying by a pool somewhere hot is more accurate). Our holidays were heavily focussed around cocktails, feta and food cooked over charcoal.
The smell of kebabs cooking takes me right back there, wanting to order a mojito!
I can’t promise that these are authentic to the Greek or Turkish kebabs that Naomi and I ate then. But they are my own version and they are super delicious.
How do you make Chicken Kebab?
Chicken kebabs are so simple to make, they are basically marinaded chicken, threaded onto skewers and cooked through.
For this recipe we use a marinade of yoghurt with paprika, cumin, a little cinnamon, chilli flakes, garlic and lemon.
Can you cook Chicken Kebabs in the oven?
Yes, it’s perfectly safe to cook chicken kebabs in the oven, as always, just check that they are cooked through before serving.
If you’re using bamboo skewers, as always, soak them for about 30 minutes in water before using.
They will take about 20 – 30 minutes at 180C.
How long do you cook Chicken Kebabs for?
If cooking these Chicken Kebabs under a hot grill (broiler) or on the BBQ (or barbecue!) they will take about 20 – 30 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is and how high your heat is.
Always be sure to check that the chicken is cooked through and not pink, before serving.
Are Chicken Kebabs good for you?
Homemade chicken kebabs are not unhealthy when cooked this way.
You can easily make this recipe even lower in fat by using chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs and using low fat, or fat free yoghurt.
(If you’re following the Slimming World plan, this would also make these Syn free chicken kebabs.)
You could also add in extra vegetables, like peppers or onions onto the skewers. These look good too!
Watch me making the Chicken Kebabs on Instagram Stories
Tips for making the Chicken Kebab recipe:
- In these photos I used Bamboo Skewers. I like the way they look but they do burn! You need to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
- If you prefer metal skewers I like these ones. Once you’ve bought a set, you’ll wonder how you lived without them. I like these Metal Skewers Set on Amazon.
- I like to use chicken thighs for this recipe as they become tender when marinaded with the lemon. They are also super tasty. Feel free to replace with chicken breasts if you prefer.
- These Chicken Kebabs are delicious cold. We love serving them for a picnic! (There we are below eating them at one of our favourite National Trust spots.)
Fancy some other easy chicken recipes?
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this Chicken Kebabs recipe. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
How to make the Chicken Kebab recipe:
Chicken Kebab Recipe
- 1 kg Chicken thighs, Boneless and skinless and cut lengthways
For the marinade:
- 150 g Natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp Cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp Dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp Garlic granules , (or 3 cloves of fresh garlic)
- 1 Lemon, Zest and juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mix the marinate ingredients together well in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs and marinade for at least 30 minutes or even better, overnight. (Cover with cling film and put in the fridge.)
- Thread onto skewers and cook for about 20 minutes until golden on the outside and cooked through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.