Looking for cold weather comfort food without the faff? This Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole recipe is so quick to prepare. The stew is packed with vegetables and in a delicious creamy sauce with crispy bacon bits. Cosiness in a bowl!
Autumn is most definitely here in the UK and you know what? I am so happy about it!
It’s a reason for wooly jumpers, open fires and of course, cosy food.
You have LOVED my Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe as it’s so simple to prepare, I decided it was about time to come up with a Chicken Stew version. Perfect for autumn and winter evenings.
You’ll love this Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole because..✅ It’s packed with vegetables and a light, but creamy sauce.✅ Hardly any preparation, no need to brown the chicken.✅ Freezes brilliantly, cook once, eat twice!
How do you make a Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole?
Basically, pop all of the ingredients in, pour over some stock and herbs and GO!
I’ve added a couple of other steps (browning some bacon lardons and adding creme fraiche at the end) because after testing this approximately 100 times (!) I really think they make a difference and are worth the added tiny bit of effort.
You’re welcome to leave those steps out, but.. Hello CRISPY BACON BITS!
SHOULD YOU BROWN CHICKEN BEFORE COOKING IN THE SLOW COOKER?
If you want to get scientific, the reason we brown meat before slow cooking, is because it causes a Maillard reaction. The process of frying, heating it very hot until it browns, changes the flavour compounds in the meat, basically adding a depth of flavour.
Does it add something to most slow cooked dishes? Yes. Is it vital in this dish, which is packed with other flavour? No.
My opinion is that it’s much more important in red meat dishes and even then, sometimes speed and ease are more important.
Ingredients for the Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole
Chicken Thighs – These should be boneless and skinless. You could use chicken breast in this recipe, but it won’t be as tender or shred when cooked in the same way.
Bacon Lardons – These are optional (as you need to fry them before adding, so it is another step in your prep) BUT using smoked bacon pieces adds SO much flavour and a little extra texture too.
Onions – Fresh or pre prepared from the freezer is fine. (Always after a shortcut!)
Carrots – I used mini Chantenay carrots, because no peeling, they look super cute and I like saying the word CHANTENAY! You can use regular, peeled carrots if you prefer, just cut into big chunks.
Celery – Even if you hate celery raw, it’s a really good idea to use it here as it adds lots of depth of flavour to the sauce. Chop quite small.
Stock – I like Marigold Vegetable Stock powder.
Mustard – Wholegrain works well as it adds an extra texture and makes the sauce look pretty. A little Dijon/French mustard is fine if you don’t have wholegrain. Please do add this, as it really enhances the flavour.
Dried Thyme – Make sure this isn’t from a pack that’s been open at the back of the cupboard for years as it really loses it’s flavour!
Fancy some other delicious slow cooker dishes?
- Super Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Curry – This is one of the most loved recipes on this site, over 60 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ reviews!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Honey and Chipotle – 5 Ingredients and TOTALLY delicious.
- Slow Cooker ‘Roast’ Gammon Ham – Such an easy and yummy Sunday roast joint.
- Slow Cooker ‘Roast’ Beef Joint – Another super simple and delicious roast joint, complete with gravy.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole recipe. Please rate the recipe using the ⭐️ by the recipe.
Also, if you’d like to show me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole with Bacon
- 1 kg Chicken thighs Boneless and skinless
- 50 g Plain flour
- 2 Onions Large, peeled and chopped
- 3 Sticks Celery Trimmed and chopped into small pieces
- 500 g Carrots See note 1 below.
- 200 g Smoked bacon lardons See note 2 below.
- 300 ml Chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp Dried thyme See note 3 below.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp Creme fraiche
- 3 tbsp Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fry your bacon lardons either in a small frying pan, or in the bottom of your slow cooker pan if it can be used on the hob. Let them go crispy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, put your chicken thighs in a large bowl and coat thoroughly in the flour.
- When the bacon has finished cooking, put the onions, celery, carrots and bacon pieces into your slow cooker (or leave the bacon pieces in that pan if they've been cooking in there).
- Sit the flour rolled chicken pieces on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Mix the stock, mustard, thyme and salt and pepper and pour into the slow cooker, around the side of the chicken.
- Put the lid on and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for at least 6 hours.
- When you're ready to serve, add the creme fraiche and the chopped parsley. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.