This Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole recipe is packed with flavour. With crispy chorizo and sweet peppers it’s a delicious midweek dinner. Shhh don’t tell anyone about the secret shortcut!
Hello autumn! And welcome back bonfires and wooly sweaters and casseroles my old friends.I love a slow cooker recipe, but they can be a bit.. Meh? My solution is always to be sure to add LOTS of flavour before the cooking even starts. Also JUST the right amount of liquid so they aren’t watery.
This Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole (after much trial and error) is SO GOOD on both counts.
Smoky chorizo, wholesome beans and a thick, rich tomato sauce. I hope you love it as much as we do!
You’ll love this Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole recipe because:
✅ Packed with rich flavour.
✅ Includes lots of hidden veg.
✅ Secret shortcut of using baked beans!
FAQs on the Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole recipe
Can I cook this in the oven if I don’t have a slow cooker?
Sure. Cook at 160C for about an 1 hour or until the sausages is soft and tender.
Which sausages should I use for this slow cooker casserole?
I like a high meat content sausage (97% if you can get it) without too many other flavourings as there’s already a lot in the sauce. If you use smaller sausages like chipolata sausages, just reduce the cooking time slightly.
Which slow cooker do you use?
I love this one (available to buy on Amazon) as it has a pan that you can use on the hob to brown your meats first and then transfer straight into the cooker. It’s very lightweight too.
I’m in the USA and can’t find Baked Beans?
No problems, just substitute 2 cans of any other cooked bean and add 4 tbsp of extra tomato paste.
What to serve with the Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- Baked potatoes
- Potato Wedges
- Cous cous
- Add sliced chillis or chilli sauce
- With mashed potatoes
Fancy some other easy Slow Cooker recipes ?
Hope you enjoy this recipe. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this recipe. Please rate the recipe using the ⭐️ below!
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations and try and share as many of them as I can.
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole with Chorizo and Beans
- 8 Sausages
- 100 g Chorizo Cut into large chunks.
- 1 Large Onion See Note 1.
- 3 Cloves Garlic See Note 1.
- 3 Sticks Celery
- 400 g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 Cans Baked beans (2 x 415g tins)
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika See Note 2.
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 1 Red pepper See Note 3.
- 1 Yellow pepper See Note 3.
- Pan fry the sausages and chorizo until browned all over. (If your slow cooker pan is the type that can be used on the hob too, you can do this in the pan.)
- Add all of the other ingredients into the slow cooker, give it a good stir and put on the lid.
- Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Stir everything well and serve.
- Add them with all of the other ingredients before cooking, if you don't mind them very soft, no probs!
- Add them to the slow cooker about an hour before the stew is due to be cooked, they will be just nicely soft - BUT this isn't always possible if you're not at home right?
- Here's what I do sometimes: When the stew is ready, I pop the chopped peppers into a covered bowl and microwave them for 4 minutes before adding to the stew before serving (you could also quickly fry them if you don't have a microwave).