This easy Hunter’s Chicken recipe is a British pub classic and surprisingly easy to create your own version at home. Baked chicken breasts, wrapped in bacon, smothered in a homemade barbecue sauce and melted cheese. So good!
I love this recipe because it tastes a bit… extra, without extra effort. It’s seriously tasty and perfect with a side order of homemade chips. It goes down a storm with everyone.
Especially anyone (like me) who remembers feeling super ✨fancy✨ ordering it in a pub in the 1980s!
Why you’ll love this recipe
⭐️ Hearty pub grub
⭐️ Flavour-packed and easy
⭐️ Prep ahead for super quick convenience
About Hunter’s Chicken
Hunter’s Chicken comes in various forms in different countries, from Chicken Chasseur in France to Chicken Cacciatore in Italy, both of which involve stew-like saucy dishes filled with herbs, vegetables and meat. Well, not this version!
The recipe we’ve come to know and love here refers to the chicken and its accompanying ingredients alone, rather than a whole meal. It’s usually eaten as classic pub grub, but these days ready-made versions can be found in supermarkets, but nothing beats homemade.
In this easy recipe we wrap the bacon around the chicken to keep it tender and to transfer that flavour, it’s then cooked and topped with barbecue sauce and cheese, both of which melt into the meat wonderfully. Yum!
If you want to make this even easier, you can always use shop-bought BBQ sauce instead of making your own.
What you’ll need
- Chicken breasts – Boneless and skinless fillets
- Streaky bacon slices – Pancetta or Parma ham slices work really well too
- Grated cheese – I think cheddar works really well for flavour, or mozzarella for the lovely bubbling effect
- Barbecue sauce or following ingredients:
- Tomato ketchup
- Honey – Runny honey
- Mustard powder
- Dark brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar – Or white wine vinegar
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven and wrap each chicken breast with bacon. Cook (as per the recipe below).
2. Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together in a small pan.
3. Cook the sauce on the hob whilst the chicken is in the oven.
4. Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken, add cheese and return to the oven.
- BBQ sauce – You can buy this ready-made in a bottle if you prefer
In the fridge Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until hot through. This is not a favourite meal to reheat, just because cheese warmed twice is not the best BUT it’s fine for a leftovers lunch!
Top tips for Hunter’s Chicken
Make this ahead by mixing the sauce and wrapping the chicken ready to be cooked. Keep refrigerated.
If you have bought a pack of 3 large chicken breasts, you can slice these in half lengthways and make two stacks of chicken breast to wrap in the bacon.
I love this with homemade chips and steamed veggies (peas or broccoli work well). But it also works well with lots of sides, like coleslaw, salad, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes.
Easy Hunter’s Chicken
- 4x Chicken breasts
- 8x Slices of streaky bacon
- 100 g Grated cheddar cheese
For the BBQ sauce:
- 5 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Water
- Heat the oven to 200C and oil or line a baking tray.
- Place the chicken breasts on the tray and wrap two slices of bacon around each. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes. (You may want to flip the chicken over as it cooks so the bacon underneath can crisp.)
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the ingredients for the sauce and cook in a pan on the hob over a medium heat for about 5 – 10 minutes until thickened.
- After 25 minutes pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken, add the grated cheese and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.