This Mediterranean Tomato and Halloumi Bake has a rich, gooey sauce topped with the salty cheese. It’s a quick and healthy dinner that’s sure to become a go-to favourite when you need a speedy one-pot heartwarmer.
Please let’s just take a moment to appreciate what this veggie recipe brings us – the crunchy, salty, golden halloumi cheese on top of a good-for-the-soul Mediterranean-style tomato vegetable sauce.
We love halloumi and eat it lots in vegetarian dishes. The best thing is, this recipe is all chucked in one pot before being stuck under the grill for five minutes to get that crispy texture. Easy peasy.
You’ll love this recipe because:
✅ It’s packed full of goodness (3 of your 5 a day).
✅ It’s delicious, comforting, inexpensive and easy.
✅ Reheats well for a leftovers lunchtime treat!
FAQs about Mediterranean Tomato and Halloumi Bake
How many people does this serve?
Unlike most of my recipes, this recipe serves two people. However, to make more simply add more ingredients of course. A few more veggies, another tin of tomatoes and an extra pack of halloumi should do the trick.
Can I change the vegetables?
Yes! This rich sauce lends itself well to the courgettes and aubergine I put in, and it really does have that Mediterranean taste, but feel free to add anything you prefer. Mushrooms, peppers, peas or broccoli are tasty alternatives.
What side dishes go with the halloumi bake?
You can either serve this on its own or add a variety of side dishes. I love fresh crusty bread and butter (or oil) to dunk in, or you could go for a green salad with avocado. If you’d prefer something to soak up the sauce, you could try cous cous, orzo or bulgar when too.
MEDITERRANEAN TOMATO AND HALLOUMI BAKE: TOP TIPS
- Cook the sauce for longer if you have time. It’s not vital but it will be richer.
- I like to let the grilled halloumi cheese get really crispy and crunchy. You can cook remove it from the grill more quickly if you prefer it soft.
- This reheats surprisingly well and the leftovers make a great lunch.
Fancy more Halloumi recipes?
Mediterranean Tomato and Halloumi Bake
- 1 tsp Olive oil Plus extra for brushing
- 1 Large Onion Peeled and chopped into chunks
- 3 Cloves Garlic Peeled and crushed
- 2 Medium Courgettes (Zucchini) Chopped into chunks
- 1 Large Aubergine (Egg plant) Chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 400 g Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree See notes
- 1 tsp Honey
- Salt and pepper
- 250 g Halloumi cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the courgettes, aubergine, cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, honey and salt and pepper. Half fill the empty tomato can with water and splosh in too. Pop the lid on the pan and let everything cook down for about 10 minutes. (See notes below.)
- Preheat the grill to very hot.
- When the sauce had thickened and softened, cut the halloumi cheese into thin slices, place on top of the vegetable sauce and brush (or spray) with oil.
- Pop under the grill for about 5 minutes until the cheese is crunchy and golden.