When Tefal got in touch and asked if I’d like to try their ActiFry, I have to tell you, I was a bit skeptical. I’m not a big fan of kitchen gadgets, I already have too many cupboards full of pretty plates and dishes to squeeze in any more kit. However, the lure of healthy chips was too much for me to resist. Spoiler alert: I bloomin’ loved it.
The ActiFry is a beast of a machine, this is not one for slipping discreetly into the kitchen without Mr TT noticing yet another kitchen addition, but it well and truly earns it’s space. It hums along, gently air frying potatoes with just a tiny spoonful of oil. I’m a big fan of dry oven fried food (did you see my roast potato video for Mum Talk TV?) but this machine improves upon this method even more. I don’t quite understand the wizardry going on inside this machine, but do you know what? I love the results so much it doesn’t matter.
I’d love to tell you how many times we’ve eaten (almost fat free) chips since it’s arrived but I’ve lost count (or perhaps I’m just enjoying my carb coma a bit too much). So, I set about making another guilty pleasure in the fryer; essentially a healthy, posh version of chicken nuggets. These are perfect for kids but tasty enough for adults (why do kids all love anything in breadcrumbs? I often think I could breadcrumb anything and they’d eat it. Anyway, that’s an experiment for another day..).
If you don’t have an ActiFry you can bake these in the oven. If you are using an ActiFry, I removed the paddle that shuffles the chips around to make these. This just stops the breadcrumbs being flipped off, but it does mean that you need to shuffle the nuggets around occasionally.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Bites
A great family meal with crunchy parmesan crust and soft chicken bites.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 75 g plain flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 150 g breadcrumbs you can make these yourself or cheat and buy them from the supermarket - I used Panko breadcrumbs which give a lovely crunch
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 50 g grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- A little olive oil in a spray bottle if you have one
- Cut the chicken breasts into even, bite sized chunks.
- Put the flour into a plastic freezer bag and add the chicken chunks. Move them around until they are all evenly coated.
- Put the beaten egg in a small bowl.
- Put the breadcrumbs, herbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper (leave out the salt for kids if you'd prefer).
- One by one, dunk each floured chicken chunk in the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Remove the 'paddle' from your ActiFry and pop each finished chunk into your ActiFry or onto a baking sheet lined with non stick baking paper.
- Carry on until all of the 'nuggets' are complete and spread in a single layer (none on top of each other) in your ActiFry or on the baking sheet.
- Spray with a spray bottle of oil if you have one, don't worry if not, they just won't look quite as golden.
- Fry in your ActiFry for about 25 minutes or until cooked through. If you're baking in the oven, bake at 180C for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Gently move the chicken around every 7 or 8 minutes so that it cooks evenly.
What’s your guilty food pleasure? Come on, ‘fess up, we’re all friends here…
I was provided with a Tefal ActiFry Family free of charge for the purpose of this post. This post contains affiliate links.
Let’s be friends..
Picture this on Instagram ¦
Keep in touch on Facebook ¦
Chit chat on Twitter ¦
Never miss a trick on Bloglovin’ ¦
Circle with me on Google+ ¦
Pinning like my life depends on it Pinterest ¦