You need this Easy Chicken Curry Recipe in your life! This healthy curry recipe is low calorie, fresh and super tasty. This delicious low fat Chicken Tikka Masala is medium spiced. Simple to make, freezes well and all of the family will love it.
It’s been weeks of over indulgence and ALL THE CAKE here. I’ve loved every moment but now I am well and truly back on the wagon to eat healthily again.
One of my favourite ways of sticking to healthier options is to create versions of my favourite foods that are just a little lighter. This Easy Chicken Curry recipe is one of those.
A while ago Tefal sent me their new Tefal ActiFry XL Express machine to try out. Spoiler alert, it was amazing. I tried this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe in it and it was genuinely better than a takeaway.
The beast of a machine will knock out chips for 6 in 30% less time that the other ActiFry machines. It is not a small piece of kit, but if you’re trying to cut down on the fat you eat, I have to say, it works it’s socks off in this kitchen.
This recipe makes the most of that searing hot air that the ActiFry cooks in to give the meat that slightly charred edge that all of the best Chicken Tikka has. I have never quite managed this at home before, but cooked in this machine is was a cinch.
It’s absolutely fine to cook this Easy Chicken Curry recipe in a saucepan as normal, but I just thought I’d share how good it is in the Actifry in case you have one and fancy trying something a little different.
Tips for making the Easy Chicken Curry recipe:
- Don’t worry if you don’t have time to marinade the chicken, but if you do? It makes a big difference and really improves the flavour.
- You can mix and match and try different curry pastes if you prefer. This basic method works well for lots of different flavours like Jalfrezi, or Rogan Josh.
- This Easy Chicken Curry recipe is easily adapted to make is a Slimming World Chicken Tikka Masala. Just replace the curry paste with curry powder, whichever you fancy. Use ‘syn free’ yoghurt and count the ‘syns’ for the oil and sugar (these will be very low shared between the portions though!)
Can you freeze Chicken Curry?
Yes! This freezes so well. I often make a double batch, pack it up into containers like this (Takeaway Containers on Amazon, about £8 for 50.)
What vegetables can you add to this Easy Chicken Curry recipe?
I often add spinach, chickpeas, mushrooms or cauliflower. All of these work really well and make this a more complete meal.
Looking for other family friendly easy curries? How about my favourite Lamb Keema Curry recipe?
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this Easy Chicken Curry recipe. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
How to make the Easy Chicken Curry Recipe:
Easy Chicken Curry
A delicious low fat Chicken Tikka Masala recipe, the healthy curry recipe you need in your life. Low calorie, fresh and super tasty.
- 500 g Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2cm pieces
- 100 g Tikka Masala curry paste
- 300 g Natural low fat yoghurt
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 390 g Can of premium chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Bunch coriander leaves chopped
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, curry paste and half of the yoghurt. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinade over night or for at least 2 hours.
Heat the oil in your saucepan over a medium heat (or ActiFry) for 2 minutes, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and water and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining half of the yoghurt, sugar and lemon juice. Stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice, sprinkled with the coriander.