You’ll love this Easy Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe. A budget-friendly classic that’s good for the soul, straight out of the store cupboard and into the oven.
It’s an oldie but a goodie… this Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe is the pinnacle of quick and easy midweek favourites. This has been on my go-to meal plan since my lovely mum discovered pasta (way back when!)
Everyone in our house loves it, and that’s good news for me because it’s so easy and quick, but it feels so comforting. The recipe has barely changed either and I love it when I can throw a tasty meal together with my eyes closed.
This easy pasta recipe is sensational because it has so much flavour without the calories. The broccoli is a delicious addition and the tomato sauce and cheese brings that nourishing goodness that warms the cockles.
I know you all love a good simple pasta recipe, so here you have it!
You’ll love this recipe because:
✅ It’s healthy soul food.
✅ Super store cupboard/budget-friendly meal.
✅ Quick, easy crowd–pleaser!
FAQs about this recipe
Do you pre-boil pasta for tuna pasta bake?
Yes, this recipe does involve pre-boiling. I know some pasta bakes don’t, but trust me on this one!
Can you reheat tuna pasta bake?
Yes, you can. Just warm it through in a microwave until it’s piping hot. (It’s also fine served cold and the leftovers make a good lunchbox filler.)
Can you freeze tuna pasta bake?
Yes you can freeze it, but honestly I’m never a huge fan of defrosted pasta.
If you do want to freeze it, just undercook the pasta ever so slightly (by 2 or 3 minutes) when you’re boiling it so it doesn’t overcook when you defrost/reheat it. Allow it to thaw fully and then heat through before serving.
TOP TIPS: How to make Tuna Pasta Bake
- If you’re making this recipe and serving straight away, pop it under the grill to melt the cheese instead of the oven. It’ll be quicker.
- If you want to make this in advance to save time later, bake it in the oven (180c for about 20 minutes) to heat through and melt the cheese on top.
- If you want a more creamy dish, add 100g of cream cheese or creme fraiche to the tomato sauce at the end of cooking when you add it to the pasta.
VARIATIONS OF TUNA AND BROCCOLI PASTA BAKE
- Tuna Pasta with Crisps – I know. RETRO! But one of my friends swears by this. Crumble of a bag of smashed crisps with your cheese for added texture.
- Spicy Tuna Pasta Bake – Add 1 tsp of dried chilli flakes (or more if you dare!) to the tomato sauce.
- Breadcrumbs – Add 4 tbsp of breadcrumbs when you sprinkle your cheese on for added CRUNCH.
- Tuna Pasta Bake without Cheese – feel free to omit the cheese off of the top if you prefer, you could just add a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs instead.
- Higher fibre – Replace the same quantity of pasta with wholemeal pasta to up the fibre content.
Fancy more easy pasta recipes?
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
This post was originally publish on Dec 15, 2016 and updated, with new photos and tips in May, 2022.
Easiest Ever Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe
There's a reason this is the ultimate Tuna Pasta Bake recipe. A budget-friendly classic that’s super easy, healthy and good for the soul.
- 300 g Pasta shapes See notes.
- 200 g Broccoli One medium-sized head of broccoli
- 500 g Passata
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g Tinned tuna Two regular-sized tins, drained
- 300 g Cherry tomatoes Halved
- 150 g Mature cheddar cheese Grated
Preheat the oven to 200C.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Add the broccoli into the boiling water with the pasta about 4 minutes before the end of its cooking time.
Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl or jug.
Drain the pasta, add the sauce, the drained tuna and cherry tomatoes and mix well.
Pop into a roasting dish with the cheese on top and pop into the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
Use whichever pasta everyone loves the most!