An easy No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe – A chocolate cheesecake packed with marshmallows and topped with melted chocolate. No bake buttery biscuit base with cream cheese and whipped cream topping. A delicious dessert cake for any special occasion. Also easily adaptable to be Gluten Free.
Rocky Road is one of my favourite, go to, easy peasy treats to make. George and Harri love helping me bash biscuits and mix a batch up and if never fails to please when you deliver a tin of the chocolatey treat to a grateful friend.
It was inevitable that I’d make a cheesecake version at some point wasn’t it?! So here you have it, my sparkly new No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake recipe.
How do you make a No Bake Cheesecake biscuit base?
Crush biscuits of your choice until they are even sized, sandy lumps. Add in melted butter and mix well. I do both of these steps in a food processor which makes it super easy.
In this recipe chocolate digestive biscuits are used to give an extra chocolatey kick. If you use plain (non chocolate biscuits) you may need to add a little extra butter as the mixture will be more dry.
Then press the mixture into a loose bottomed tin. Don’t press too hard or it will become impossible to cut when chilled, just until it’s compacted.
How do you make a Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake?
This no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe is so simple and easy to make. The chocolate chills and helps it to remain stable. I use milk chocolate to give a subtle creamy taste but feel free to substitute dark chocolate in the cheesecake if you’d prefer.
Be careful to let the chocolate cool for just a couple of minutes before you stir it into the cream and cream cheese mixture. If it’s too hot it will make the mixture sloppy, but if it goes too cold the chocolate will clump when it touches the cold mixture.
How long does it take for a No Bake Cheesecake to set?
Three hours is the minimum time you should allow for your no bake cheesecake to set in the refrigerator. Overnight is even better and will give you a much firmer cheesecake.
If you are in a rush you can set for one – two hours in the freezer but I find that a little unpredictable as sometimes they don’t set quite as evenly. Moral of the story, if you have time, the fridge overnight is best.
Can you freeze a No Bake Cheesecake?
Yes you can freeze this Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake before you add the topping. Keep it in the tin and freeze until you’re ready to use it (in line with the freezing recommendations on the ingredients list).
Then defrost in the fridge overnight and top with the marshmallows and chocolates before serving.
Top tips for making the No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe:
- This recipe is super easy to make gluten free. Just replace the regular chocolate digestive biscuits with a gluten free biscuit.
- Be careful to let the chocolate cool for just a couple of minutes before you stir it into the cream and cream cheese mixture. If it’s too hot it will make the mixture sloppy, but if it goes too cold the chocolate will clump when it touches the cold mixture.
- The consistency should be sliceable but not solid. Something like room temperature butter, it will give a little quiver if you wobble it gently.
- When whipping the double cream, be sure to watch it very carefully. It should be just forming soft floppy peaks, but still hold it’s shape. Too runny and the no bake cheesecake will be sloppy, too stiff and it will be too dense.
- An angled palette knife is a really inexpensive piece of kit but it makes SUCH a difference when smoothing things like this out! You can buy them on Amazon here: Angled Palette Knife
- Do sift the icing sugar, it will give a much smoother texture to the cheesecake. Don’t ignore this as I normally do!
- Warm a sharp, thin knife under a hot tap and then dry it. Use this to run around the outside of the cake, inside the tin, before removing. Remove the knife and wipe it as you work your way around the cake.
- The recipe is for a 7″ DEEP tin (not a standard sandwich cake tin, it will overflow! You can use smaller or larger but your cheesecake will obviously be taller or shorter. I would DEFINITELY recommend this tin though as it is a great size and very easy to use.
- Cheesecake too runny and won’t set? It’s probably because your cream wasn’t whipped quite enough. No problem, pop it into the freezer for a few hours before serving. Situation saved.
Fancy some other No Bake Cheesecake recipes? How about my Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake or my No Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake Recipe?
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake recipe. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
How to make the No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe:
No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake
- 230 g Digestive Chocolate Biscuits
- 100 g Butter Unsalted, melted
- 550 ml Double cream Whipped until stiff
- 100 g Icing Sugar Sifted
- 500 g Cream cheese Full fat
- 300 g Milk chocolate Melted and cooled
- 75 g Mini marshmallows
For the topping
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- Marshmallows and chocolate bars of your choice
- Crush the biscuits until they look like lumpy sand. (I do mind in a food processor because I'm lazy!)
- Mix with the melted butter and press into your 7" tin.
- Mix the whipped double cream, icing sugar and cream cheese until fully combined. Stir in the melted cooled and chocolate and mini marshmallows.
- Spoon on top of the biscuit base. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon or a palette knife if you have one.
- Chill for at least 3 hours or even better, over night.
- Use my knife tip (above) to remove the cheesecake from the tin.
- Pile the additional marshmallows and chocolates on top.
- Melt your dark chocolate and when slightly cooled drizzled on top.
Hey Sarah, this Cheesecake Recipe looks super delicious! My son loves cake very much. He will definitely love this cake! Your instruction is very clear to follow. So I am going to try this cake at home!
• 550 ml Double cream plus 50ml to decorate (lightly whipped until it forms soft peaks)
what is this in US terms
Sarah Barnes says
Hi Catherine, I searched on Google and double cream is 48% fat cream, known in the US as heavy cream.
Could you drizzle dairy milk on the top or does dark chocolate work best? Thank you
Sarah Barnes says
Whichever you prefer is fine, I just liked the colour of the dark chocolate!
Any chocolate will do. I’m a full time baker so if you want my advice I would probably say……dark because it will probably bring more flavour but if you’re baking this for children (who don’t usually like dark chocolate then you’re usually better off using milk chocolate
Made this dessert this morning. The recipe was easy to follow and the result was delicious. Thank you!
Sarah Barnes says
So pleased you enjoyed it Krysia. Thanks for taking the time to comment too 🙂
PHIL SEARING says
That was fun. First ever cheesecake. Just need to add the topping in the morning.
Mrs E says
Found this recipe really easy to follow, and absolutely delicious!
Was amazed it was so quick and easy to make. We only had 3 hours (the minimum recommended) to chill it, and it was set fine. Decorated it after 2 and returned to the fridge.
We made a slight change by using 50% dark and 50% milk chocolate on the top, as I’m not a lover of dark chocolate.
As it doesn’t use a huge amount of ingredients it saves having lots of half used packets afterwards!
Wow! My 10YO daughter and I made this yesterday and it is delicious! Even better today after chilling overnight. Wow! Can’t wait to try another recipe. Thank you. x
Could you make this the day before needed
Sarah Barnes says
Just made this with my youngest daughter as she found this recipe and wanted to do it. Our finished result wasn’t that good as my scales don’t do grams so it was a little confusing and I think we made just too much but, it looks good and we’ll be eating it tomorrow. Thank you 🙂
Declan Rooney says
Excellent results ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Simon Abbott says
Made this for my wife for Valentine’s Day.
Fantastic result. Easy n simple recipe. What’s not to like. Give it a go.
I made you amazing no bake rocky road cheesecake for my daughters 32nd birthday. It’s turn out a right crackers im looking forward to bringing it out later singing happy birthday 🥳 to her. I used slightly more ingredients as I made it in a 10 inch tin I’m really pleased with myself 🥳
Thanks again. 👌
It’s lesley again I’m trying to post a picture of my cheeses cake
But I’m hopeless …..
I’d would have loved to share it with you.
If I can make it anyone can it’s my first ever cheesecake. I make it because it’s my daughters favourite 💕
Sarah Barnes says
Hi Lesley, so pleased you liked it, you can email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like! So pleased you liked it!
hi lesley massive fan it was cooked to perfection , could not of tasted better
I made this last year for Boxing Day, I’d never made a cheese cake before, I’m not even a huge fan of it myself and I did replace half the cream cheese with milka Philadelphia (oops)…. but … it was amazing!!! Everyone loved it. This recipe is so good I had to find it to repeat this Christmas! Less people to share due to covid but all the more for me!! Thanks you!