An easy No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe – A chocolate cheesecake packed with marshmallows and topped with melted chocolate. No bake buttery biscuit base with cream cheese and whipped cream topping. A delicious dessert cake for any special occasion. Also easily adaptable to be Gluten Free.
Rocky Road is one of my favourite, go to, easy peasy treats to make. George and Harri love helping me bash biscuits and mix a batch up and if never fails to please when you deliver a tin of the chocolatey treat to a grateful friend.
It was inevitable that I’d make a cheesecake version at some point wasn’t it?! So here you have it, my sparkly new No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake recipe.
How do you make a No Bake Cheesecake biscuit base?
Crush biscuits of your choice until they are even sized, sandy lumps. Add in melted butter and mix well. I do both of these steps in a food processor which makes it super easy.
In this recipe chocolate digestive biscuits are used to give an extra chocolatey kick. If you use plain (non chocolate biscuits) you may need to add a little extra butter as the mixture will be more dry.
Then press the mixture into a loose bottomed tin. Don’t press too hard or it will become impossible to cut when chilled, just until it’s compacted.
How do you make a Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake?
This no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe is so simple and easy to make. The chocolate chills and helps it to remain stable. I use milk chocolate to give a subtle creamy taste but feel free to substitute dark chocolate in the cheesecake if you’d prefer.
Be careful to let the chocolate cool for just a couple of minutes before you stir it into the cream and cream cheese mixture. If it’s too hot it will make the mixture sloppy, but if it goes too cold the chocolate will clump when it touches the cold mixture.
How long does it take for a No Bake Cheesecake to set?
Three hours is the minimum time you should allow for your no bake cheesecake to set in the refrigerator. Overnight is even better and will give you a much firmer cheesecake.
If you are in a rush you can set for one – two hours in the freezer but I find that a little unpredictable as sometimes they don’t set quite as evenly. Moral of the story, if you have time, the fridge overnight is best.
Can you freeze a No Bake Cheesecake?
Yes you can freeze this Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake before you add the topping. Keep it in the tin and freeze until you’re ready to use it (in line with the freezing recommendations on the ingredients list).
Then defrost in the fridge overnight and top with the marshmallows and chocolates before serving.
Top tips for making the No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe:
- This recipe is super easy to make gluten free. Just replace the regular chocolate digestive biscuits with a gluten free biscuit.
- Be careful to let the chocolate cool for just a couple of minutes before you stir it into the cream and cream cheese mixture. If it’s too hot it will make the mixture sloppy, but if it goes too cold the chocolate will clump when it touches the cold mixture.
- The consistency should be sliceable but not solid. Something like room temperature butter, it will give a little quiver if you wobble it gently.
- When whipping the double cream, be sure to watch it very carefully. It should be just forming soft floppy peaks, but still hold it’s shape. Too runny and the no bake cheesecake will be sloppy, too stiff and it will be too dense.
- An angled palette knife is a really inexpensive piece of kit but it makes SUCH a difference when smoothing things like this out! You can buy them on Amazon here: Angled Palette Knife
- Do sift the icing sugar, it will give a much smoother texture to the cheesecake. Don’t ignore this as I normally do!
- Warm a sharp, thin knife under a hot tap and then dry it. Use this to run around the outside of the cake, inside the tin, before removing. Remove the knife and wipe it as you work your way around the cake.
- The recipe is for a 7″ DEEP tin (not a standard sandwich cake tin, it will overflow! You can use smaller or larger but your cheesecake will obviously be taller or shorter. I would DEFINITELY recommend this tin though as it is a great size and very easy to use.
- Cheesecake too runny and won’t set? It’s probably because your cream wasn’t whipped quite enough. No problem, pop it into the freezer for a few hours before serving. Situation saved.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake recipe. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
Also, if you fancy showing me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
How to make the No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake Recipe:
No Bake Rocky Road Cheesecake
- 230 g Digestive Chocolate Biscuits
- 100 g Butter Unsalted, melted
- 550 ml Double cream Whipped until stiff
- 100 g Icing Sugar Sifted
- 500 g Cream cheese Full fat
- 300 g Milk chocolate Melted and cooled
- 75 g Mini marshmallows
For the topping
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- Marshmallows and chocolate bars of your choice
- Crush the biscuits until they look like lumpy sand. (I do mind in a food processor because I'm lazy!)
- Mix with the melted butter and press into your 7" tin.
- Mix the whipped double cream, icing sugar and cream cheese until fully combined. Stir in the melted cooled and chocolate and mini marshmallows.
- Spoon on top of the biscuit base. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon or a palette knife if you have one.
- Chill for at least 3 hours or even better, over night.
- Use my knife tip (above) to remove the cheesecake from the tin.
- Pile the additional marshmallows and chocolates on top.
- Melt your dark chocolate and when slightly cooled drizzled on top.