This simple Cheesy Chilli Loaded Wedges recipe takes your standard midweek chilli to the next level. Everyone will love this extra cheesy meal, which feels like a bit of a treat.
I find that chilli con carne is a standard go-to dish for many families because it’s low cost, in one pot, healthy, freezes well, can be made in batch and heated up for when friends and family come round, and the flavours and spice can be tailored to everyone.
The Loaded Wedges and Cheese style just adds an extra something – put this bad boy in the middle of a dining table everyone will get stuck right in!
This delicious recipe went down a storm in my Weekly Meal Plan too, and it’s so low cost you could easily make a bigger batch for leftovers. You could even make it part of a whole Mexican-themed meal, adding guacamole, sour cream and salsa with tortilla chips on the side – and perhaps a mojito or two if you really want!
You’ll love this recipe because:
✅ It’s a sociable one-dish sharing meal.
✅ You can save leftovers for lunch.
✅ Full of flavour but cheap as (potato) chips!
FAQs about Cheesy Chilli Loaded Wedges
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes, just substitute the mince for an extra can of beans in chilli sauce. This makes it especially budget-friendly too.
Is this suitable for children?
It sure is. Tailor the seasoning to suit them and you might want to bring down the spice with less chilli powder.
How many does this serve?
This is enough for four people but if you’re very hungry or want it to stretch further, you could add some Mexican-style side dishes or salad.
Is this authentically Mexican?
Please note that I do not claim to be making an authentic Mexican dish here. This is my take on a family favourite, where I use shortcuts (because that’s what I do!) and the ingredients available to keep costs low. There are some fabulous authentic Mexican recipes over on this blog: Mexico In My Kitchen, if that’s what you’re looking for.
Fancy more Mexican-style recipes?
- Chicken Enchiladas – A favourite easy slow cooker dish
- Salmon Tacos – Delicious and oh-so-simple
- Halloumi Fajitas – A colourful fun family meal!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it if you make this recipe. Please rate the recipe using the ⭐️ by the recipe.
Also, if you’d like to show me a photo by tagging me on Instagram (@tamingtwins) I LOVE to see your creations.
Cheesy Chilli Loaded Wedges
For the wedges:
- 1 kg Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Garlic granules
- 2 tsp Paprika
For the chilli:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion
- 3 tsp Garlic purée
- 500 g Minced Beef
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Mild chilli powder
- 4 Peppers Chopped
- 800 g Tinned Tomatos 2 Cans
- 1 Can of kidney beans in chilli sauce See notes
- 125 g Grated cheese
- 2 Spring onions To serve
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges and toss with the oil and spices.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your wedges!
- Meanwhile make your chilli, heat your oil in a large pan and fry off onions, garlic and mince until browned.
- Add the spices, peppers, tomatoes and kidney beans.
- I leave this to cook for about 30 minutes while the wedges are cooking and it’s very thick and reduced.
- When the wedges are cooked, load up with the chilli and cheese and pop back into the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Top with spring onions.
Laura Davis says
Absolutely delicious 😋 everyone loved it so quick and easy. Served with a spoon of fat free Greek yoghurt. Thank you Sarah X
Carol McConkey says
Oh my word! This was absolutely delicious!
Everyone round the table wanted the recipe.
Very inexpensive dinner, very easy to make and very easy to eat too much!😂
Always make this without the meat, just extra beans. Its amazing!!