This simple and tasty Courgette Soup recipe makes an easy lunch in minutes. Even children love it! It’s gluten free, easily made dairy free and vegetarian, easy to freeze and Slimming World friendly.
Hello new favourite soup recipe!
My children are very anti-courgette. Honestly, it’s almost some kind of religion for them. They will spot it hidden away in a dinner at 100 paces and the accusations start to fly around about that time I told them it was just cooked cucumber. (IT IS NOT MUMMY. WE KNOW THE TRUTH.)
Anyway, still I persist as I bloomin’ love courgettes. Enter, this brilliant tasty, cheesy Courgette Soup.
I called it Superhero Green soup, didn’t mention courgettes and.. It was a win!
Let’s consider the facts:
- Packed with green veggies for at least 2 of your 5 a day in each bowl.
- The soup freezes really well, perfect for a quick and healthy lunch.
- It’s gluten free, easily made dairy free and vegetarian and Slimming World friendly.
Get batch souping my friends.
How to make Courgette Soup:
Firstly, wash and chop your courgette and leeks into chunks, there is no need to be too precise on this.
Then finely chop your onion and crush the garlic (or if you are feeling super lazy you can always use frozen pre chopped onion and garlic. I always keep these in the freezer for those days when I am rushing.)
Heat the oil in a large pan, throw the onion, garlic, courgette and leeks in and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the stock and salt and pepper.
Bring it all to the boil and then simmer for around 15 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Add the peas a couple of minuted before the end. Then remove from the heat and add in parmesan cheese and blend.
I have one of these hand blenders (also currently 30% off on Amazon whoop!), it is perfect for this Broccoli and Cauliflower soup too and also even makes amazing, totally lump free mashed potatoes.
Tips for making the Courgette Soup Recipe:
- Don’t overcook or the peas will lose their colour and the soup won’t be quite such a lovely green colour.
- If you don’t have Parmesan, or don’t like it, you can substitute in a strong mature cheddar cheese.
- Any good quality, fairly low salt, vegetable stock is fine. I think Marigold brand is the best around.
Other Courgette Soup options:
- Add 25g of fresh mint at the end of cooking to make Courgette, Pea and Mint Soup.
- Add a chopped red chilli with the stock to make Spicy Courgette Soup.
- Use vegetarian Parmesan cheese equivalent (or leave it out) to keep the soup vegetarian or vegan.
- Use FryLight and either omit the Parmesan, or count as a Healthy Extra to be Slimming World friendly.
Fancy some more courgette (zucchini) recipes?
- My favourite Courgette Cake Recipe
- My easy Courgette Fritters with Feta Cheese
- A light and lovely Courgette Lasagne Recipe
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. I’d love to know how you got on and what you thought of it. Please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below if you do.
If you enjoyed this recipe, subscribe to my newsletter for weekly meal plans, and follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for lots of chat, recipes and life updates!
How to make the Courgette Soup recipe:
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves Crushed
- 1 kg Courgette Chopped
- 1 Leek Chopped
- 1.8 ltrs Veg stock
- 125 g Frozen Peas/Petit Pois Optional
- 75 g Parmesan
- Creme fraiche
- Firstly heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Fry onions and garlic, until softened.
- Add courgettes and leeks, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add in your stock and bring to the boil.
- Boil for around 15 - 20 minutes. Until the courgettes are soft.
- Stir in parmesan.
- Blend to give a smooth consistency.
- Optional: Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche, croutons and some chives sprinkled on top.
Glynis McNamara says
The peas haven’t been added! I used my own initiative and have to say this soup is one of my favourites.
Super easy to make and so delicious. Will be making this again
Annette June Chick says
Lovely and so easy to make