Do you think, possibly, that cakes reflect the personalities of their owners? In the same way that owners sometimes look like their dogs? As I sat here editing these photos, this thought worried me slightly.
I am almost incapable of making a cake that isn’t a.) enormous, b.) totally over the top (why use a spoonful of caramel when you could use 12 I ask?) and c.) screams “Look at me! Look at me!” practically jumping off the pedestal.
Cakes that quietly loaf about, unassumingly loitering at the back of the cake stand, ready to pack a fruity punch when you cut into them are not really my thing. Much as I love to eat them, I never make them.
So my friends, what the heck does this say about me I ask? Do you know what, don’t answer that. Let’s just say that it takes all sorts, yes?
In other news, Tots100 held BlogCamp right here in Birmingham last weekend. It’s a one day get-together of bloggers, twice a year, where we meet up, eat cake and be inspired. It’s totally free to attend (thank you lovely volunteers) and it was a fantastic day. One of the best things about blogging is all of the amazing people I’ve met because of it and yesterday was no exception. I love that whether you’re a 4 layer, loudly shouting sprinkles and swirls cake type person or a demure, understated traybake, there’s a place in the blogging world for you..
As you may have guessed, this cake firmly sits in the show off category, but do you know, it’s actually fairly simple to make? I’ve worked out from the crazy response on my Instagram pictures of gooey stuff that dribbling caramel on just about anything gives it the wow factor – who’d have thought?!
I’ve cheated and used shop bought caramel (a favourite cake standby of mine) but you can make your own using my Slow Cooked Easiest Ever Caramel.
Shhh.. Don’t tell anyone that this show-stopper is actually a doddle.
Caramel Rocky Road Cake
- 350 g Unsalted butter
- 175 g Light brown sugar
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 6 Large free range eggs
- 300 g Self-raising flour
- 50 g Very good quality cocoa I like Green & Blacks
For the icing:
- 250 g Unsalted butter
- 600 g Icing sugar
- 200 g Dark chocolate
- 397 g Can of Carnation Caramel or a jar of homemade caramel
- A selection of chocolate bars and marshmallows that take your fancy
- Grease 3 x 7″ round sandwich tins (or 2 x 8″).
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cream your room temperature butter with your sugars until it’s pale, light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, beating really well after each egg. Don’t worry if it starts to look a bit curdled, it’ll all come good.
- Mix in your flour and cocoa. If you’ve been using a mixer, do this bit by hand. It helps to keep the sponge light.
- Spoon into a your tins, smooth out with the back of a spoon. Make a bit of a dip in the middle to account for rising.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. You might need to adjust the time by 5 minutes either way depending on your oven.
Make your icing:
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat your butter until it is pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar to the butter and beat again until it's all combined (it'll be very stiff).
- When the chocolate has cooled for at least 10 minutes, add it to the icings and beat until smooth (is that the most beautiful sight you've ever seen?)
Putting it together:
- When your cakes are completely cold, use a carving knife to level them. Just trim the top crust off. This is important, it’s not a waste of cake (taste testing compulsory). If you don’t do this, with a cake this size it will be wonky.
- Open the can of caramel and scoop into a bowl. Give it a stir to smooth the consistency.
- Use about a third of the tin to sandwich the first two layers together and a further third of the tin to add the third layer on top. Reserve the rest of the caramel.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with the buttercream icing and smooth.
- Pile your marshmallows and chocolate goodies on top of the cake.
- Drizzle with the remaining caramel.
- Enjoy admiring glances!
Nutrition (per serving)
Are you a loud and proud layer cake or an elegant and demure traybake? Go on, do tell..
Let’s be friends..
Picture this on Instagram ¦
Keep in touch on Facebook ¦
Chit chat on Twitter ¦
Circle with me on Google+ ¦
Pinning like my life depends on it Pinterest ¦
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Ohhhh myyyy this all looks so nice!! The caramel just tops it off. Literally 🙂
Do I need to say anything other than Food Porn?! I showed this to my friend to distract her and her mouth dropped open. Love it =)
Jacqueline Vallance says
This is obscene….I LOVE it!
sophie // the cake hunter says
I used to be a fairly demure cake baker but lately I’ve been thinking of these grand showstopping super indulgent cakes like this one. It looks amazing! I’ll definitely make sure I’m at the next blogcamp 🙂
Steph @MisplacedBrit says
wow wow wow!! I’m so impressed with that one. The sound of it, the look, the photography! Stunning, mouth watering job! This one’s without doubt my top most desirable desert this week 🙂
susan @happyhealthymumma says
oh. my. lord.
I’ve died and gone to heaven.
Foodie Laura says
Oh my, that dribble of caramel has got me all hot and bothered, it looks ah-ma-zing!
The Reading Residence says
I want this cake so much! I’d be way too scared to attempt anything like that, though, I stick to muffins and traybakes!
Not A Frumpy Mum says
This cake is the most stunning thing ever. I’d love to give it a go, but I’m not sure my inching skills (or lack of them) would make it as smooth as yours, I’m seriously tempted though! x
WOW hunny your foot styling and photography just blew me away. This looks absolutely phenomenal truly. Delicious and staged perfectly like out of a magazine. Love the backdrop! Also sounds perfectly scrumptious for a holiday treat. I want to eat it now and it’s only 8:30 AM!!! lol #tastytuesdays
Rebecca U says
OK, wow. This is amazing! All my favourite things in one place ha. #tastytuesday
Potty Mouthed Mummy says
Oh Sarah this is stunning, pinning immediately! xx
My Family Ties says
Wow! This looks so amazing, I just love the photos it makes you want to reach out and cut a slice! #TastyTuesdays
Gym Bunny Mummy says
Yum, yum, yum, that is all!
Katie Bryson says
That is probably one of the most outrageously decadent cakes I have ever laid my eyes on Sarah… if this is reflective of your personality then you are one outrageously decadent lady 😉
Jo of Jo's Kitchen says
This is amazing! Save me a slice please 🙂
Rachael A says
This cake looks stunning – you have inspired me as I am making a birthday cake for my boyfriend this weekend
Sara (@mumturnedmom) says
Oh my goodness! LOVE! #tastytuesdays
Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) says
Goodness this cake is so AMAZING! Awwww those photos are so good! #TastyTuesdays
Julie's Family Kitchen says
That’s a very naughty but nice cake if ever I saw one. Yum!
Ooooh goodness this looks AMAZING! What a beautiful, indulgent bake! I want!
jenny paulin says
O.M G this is awesome!!!!!! i want to dive right in x
Wow!!! That looks absolutely amazing, I’ll definitely be pinning this to make on an occasion x
Want, want, want! Please bring me a slice next week! You DID say I had a nice aura (surely that wins me a piece of cake!). Pretty please… xxx
Julie @ Tastes of Lizzy T says
Simply a gorgeous cake!
Jacqueline Meldrum says
Darn, hit a button and shot off somewhere else. Not sure if my comment took flight or not. Just saying I was loving the cake and your blog is looking fab. Pinned and stumbled!
It’s nice that bloggers on your area get together and unwind.
This looks absolutely amazing, so decadent. I want!
Nikki Thomas says
Wow that look absolutely lovely, it may be quite simple but it looks stunning and sounds delicious
Katrina @ Beau Twins says
As always, everything looks so appetizing. #TheList x
Mum in a Nutshell says
Wow! Even the sight of this cake is paradise on the eyes. My children are going to love this. Thanks for sharing through #The List
Sarah @ let them be small says
yum! going to try and make this I think!
You Baby Me Mummy says
You know what I think of this cake! I am sickened that I had to comment on it when I am on a diet! At the moment I would probably trade my arm for this cake… Thanks for linking up to #TheList ( no really thanks!..) xx
Honest Mum says
What an epically magnificent (does that make sense?!) cake-seriously you need to write a cook book immediately, email links of your blog to agents and publishers this instant. Just wow, wow at baking, styling, photography-can I say WOW again, thanks! One more time WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x
Wave to Mummy says
Oh my, this is looking absolutely tasty! Love it – definitely pinning it 🙂 #thelist
This caramel rocky road cake looks absolutely amazing. Love it and Pinned!!
Stacey Guilliatt (Nobody Said It Was Easy) says
Oh my goodness this looks freaking amazing!! Pinning it!! #tastytuesdays
Looks amazing. How long can you assemble it before serving??
Oh my, how have I only just spotted this. This looks amazing I’m definitely going to bake this for my birthday! Thanks for posting. I would have loved to have seen a pic of a slice of the cake to view how delicious it looked inside x
Laura Ashton says
Do you put the icing inbetween the cake layers or just the caramel? It’s amazing!
Sarah Barnes says
I just used caramel inside!