I’ve been blogging for a whole 12 months now, where did that time go? As I wandered into the blogging world just over a year ago, there was a lot of talk on Twitter of mysterious parcels of cookies arrive at the door of bloggers.
I was entranced. What could be better than festive cookie parcels arriving as if my magic?! I’ll tell you what. Making your favourite cookies and sharing them with people all over the country. Soppy? A bit. But I do love feeding people as you know.
Anyway, this year when the Food Blogger Cookie Swap opened I was right there at the front of the queue. You sign up, donate a few pounds to charity and are matched with 3 other bloggers. You send them each a parcel of cookies and receive 3 in return. That right there is Christmas joy my friends.
I received these beautiful parcels from Helen at http://honeyplate.blogspot.co.uk/, Rebecca at http://www.reallyprettyuseful.co.uk and Aine at http://awkwardirishgirlblogs.wordpress.com. The recipes will be up on their blogs now if you’d like to have a look. Thank you so much for the beautiful parcels ladies, they each brightened up a day and were very much appreciated. (I did share them all with my 2 little helpers.)
I made these Chocolate Stuffed Candy Cane Peppermint Cookies and carefully packed them, with instructions to pop each one in the microwave for 10 seconds before eating. I love a cookie with a soft centre, those 10 seconds in the microwave make all the difference.
To me these are a taste of Christmas. I know, it’s totally American, created by watching too many US films and reading too many recipes on Pinterest, but still that’s okay. Our food loves and tastes evolve don’t they? This also makes a change from my need to put mixed spice in everything from November until January.
I would recommend making these and enjoy whilst watching Elf. Remember what Buddy said, “stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup”. You’ll do him proud with these cookies.
- 450g Unsalted butter
- 225g Caster sugar
- 225g Light brown sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 550g Plain flour
- 75g Cocoa
- 1.5 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Peppermint extract
- About 225g Dark chocolate
- 200g Candy Canes, chopped into very small pieces
- Beat the butter with the sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, flour, cocoa, bicarb, salt, peppermint extra and half of the candy canes until a stiff dough forms.
- Break the chocolate into chunks, make sure you have 36.
- Form the dough into balls (you can weigh each one if you're that way inclined like me, they should be about 40g each). Press a chunk of chocolate into the middle of each one so it's totally covered.
- Freeze the dough balls for at least 2 hours.
- When you're ready to cook them, bake on a lined baking for for 10 - 15 minutes depending on your oven.
- Serve slightly warm, either from the oven or by popping in the microwave for 10 seconds each before eating.
What’s the taste of Christmas to you and do you think there’s anyone more wise than Buddy the Elf?
Let’s be friends..
Picture this on Instagram ¦
Keep in touch on Facebook ¦
Chit chat on Twitter ¦
Never miss a trick on Bloglovin’ ¦
Circle with me on Google+ ¦
Pinning like my life depends on it Pinterest ¦