For quite some time I’ve had an inkling that my daughter is going to be a feisty one, spirited shall we say? In recent weeks, it has become clear that I was right.
Her current list of demands are as follows:-
1. All instructions she gives you must be acted on IMMEDIATELY. You’re on the loo? Tough. Get to it.
2. She will only wear the clothes that she deems suitable, on a whim, on that day. There are never enough clothes with bunnies on. EVER.
3. Why try on one pair of shoes when you can put on and take off 7 (including Daddy’s) before you leave the house?
4. Daily diet fads vary according to mood, including only scrambled egg on a Tuesday and only cheese straws on a Thursday.
5. All TV viewing is to be approved by her. If it’s not Tractor Ted or Postman Pat, fear for your life.
6. Trying to talk to someone on the phone? No chance, that’s her domain.
7. Trying to quietly walk around the supermarket? You’ll be lucky, there’ll be plenty of loud chitter chatter about ‘dat BIG man’ standing next to you. Right next to you.
8. All cups must be open topped, must contain juice and will be spilled over self immediately.
9. She is always right.
Of course, it’s all worth it, she laughs and lights up my world. I’m totally and utterly head over heels in love with her. She’s bright, hilarious and bursting with energy and excitement for the day ahead. When you do something she approves of, it’s worth every crossed sword.
It’s just that it’s all a bit of a shift in my world. I remind myself that she’s just finding boundaries, testing out her new found talents, but accommodating a foot-stomping-loudly-chatting-willful-little person is a big learning curve for me.
My husband says he’s fine with it. He married one after all.