This One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken recipe is a quick and simple dinner using chicken breasts, roasted with potatoes, asparagus, lemon and honey. A really easy family meal.
I do love how the changing of the seasons are marked here in the UK with food. (Because you know me, is there an occasion that I won’t mark with food?) Asparagus season always makes my heart lift.
I LOVE asparagus. It’s super quick and easy to cook and yet makes a meal feel like a decadent feast. It really is only good during the British season though. Please don’t buy it flown in, it’s such a sad old excuse for this green treat. A totally different kettle of fish.
Where we live in Worcestershire is just on the edge of an area really well known for asparagus. There is a little farm a couple of miles away and during the first week of May, a sign goes up on the road to let you know that their asparagus is for sale. For just a month of the year, their shed is open to sell the freshest bunches until they run out each day.
It’s a yearly ritual that I get so excited about. (I know, I need to get out more). Last year I would take G&H up there a few times a week to stock up. This year they are off being giant school children. I wonder if I’ll still be pootling up there when they have flown the nest? (Sob sob.)
Early morning shopping trip 😊🌱 this door opens for the only time every year, in mid May and is open for a few precious weeks until the next year. I remember coming here newly in love ready to cook for him, then years later with sleeping babies in the back of the car and this year with squabbling pre-schoolers wrestling 😆
So here’s my first asparagus meal this year. I’m all over the one pan meals at the moment. Working out how many things I can cook for four of us in an easy peasy swoooosh into the oven. (Yeah, that’s how I cook, SWOOOOSHing about the kitchen.)
Really though, meals in one pan? Meat, potatoes and veggies all done? Together? On time? Less washing up? This is the real deal of healthy easy dinners I think.
Some people are scared of cooking asparagus, but this is so simple. I promise, you can’t go wrong.
Tips for making the One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken:
- I know I’m boring, I said it earlier, I’ll say it again. PLEASE buy British asparagus! This is sponsored, I’m not working for them, I just think the taste is totally different and I don’t want you to be disappointed by this recipe with some boring, strongly flown in veggies. May to June are the only times really. Outside of those times, for this dish you could replace if with green beans.
- One of my must have kitchen tools is a Microplane Zester. They are not cheap, (about £14) but if you enjoy cooking a bit, it’s one of the best tools I’ve ever bought. I’m hesitant to say that it will change your life, but ummm.. It kind of will if you ever cook with lemons! No more zester fingertips – HURRAH! (You can find it on Amazon here: Microplane Premium Zester. Top tip: also makes a great gift for foodie friends.)
- About half way through cooking the chicken and potatoes you may need to give them a shuffle around in the pan. If your oven cooks a little unevenly like mine this will help to get all of the potatoes crispy, not just the outside ones.
- This makes a great lunch served cold as leftovers too. I put it in in these tubs: 3 Compartment Lunch Boxes.
What I used to make the One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken:
I hope you enjoy this easy asparagus dinner as much as we did. A quick and simple spring treat, I think I’ve even converted the children to eating asparagus this year (although mainly because they think it’s HILARIOUS that it makes their pee smell – AHHHH they joy of children).
What’s your favourite one pan meal or asparagus dish?
How to make the One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken Recipe:
One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken
- 2 tbsp Olive oil plus 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp Runny honey
- 2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 Lemons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Cloves of garlic crushed (I use frozen ready prepared as I'm lazy!)
- 4 Large baking potatoes cubed (no need to peel)
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 300 g Asparagus woody ends chopped off
Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
Mix the 2 tbsp oil, honey, oregano, the zest and juice of ONE of the lemons, salt and pepper and garlic together.
Coat the potatoes and chicken in the dressing mixture.
Pop onto a non stick baking sheet, drizzling over any remaining dressing at the bottom of the bowl.
Slice the remaining lemon into 4 thick slices and top the chicken.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Make a space on the tray and add the asparagus. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil, plus a little more sea salt.
Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked and serve.
Pin the One Pan Lemon Asparagus Chicken for later: