Every January I step onto the healthy eating band wagon and by the start of Spring, I fall spectacularly off with my many Easter bakes (Creme Egg Cheesecake or Caramel Egg Croissant anyone?). This year is a bit different. We were away skiing in January and so I’ve just been aiming for a bit more balance. To move a bit more and eat a bit less. (I appreciate the irony of the fact that I’m talking about this under a photo of Creme Egg Rocky Road, but bear with.)
If you, like me, want to move a bit more to try and balance off all of the Easter treats, how about doing something amazing for Sport Relief this March to give you the oooomph to go for it? Sport Relief is when the great British public get active and have fun to help change lives. You could help to raise money by taking part in a sport relief event (from running a mile with the family to cycling 100 miles), host a dress down day at work or organise a bake sale (now you see where I come in!).
This Creme Egg Rocky Road recipe is the perfect bake sale make. Easy but super impressive looking, right on seasonal baking trend, can be made in advance and no need for anything fancy schmancy.
- Make sure you do melt the butter slightly before adding the chocolate, this stops the chocolate from burning.
- Only use a very, very low heat. Or the chocolate, butter, syrup mixture will seize and go grainy.
- Make sure you do allow it to cool before adding anything else or the mini Creme Eggs and the marshmallows will melt. Still tasty but not quite as pretty.
- If the slab is too hard to cut straight out of the fridge, allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Don’t use liquid food colour to colour chocolate, this is the only one I use and recommend: Sugarflair Concentrated Paste Colour – Egg Yellow / Cream
- 150g Unsalted butter
- 250g Dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g Milk chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Golden syrup
- 180g Mini Creme Eggs, unwrapped
- 180g Mini marshmallows
- 150g Digestive biscuits, crushed into chunks
- 150g White chocolate, chopped
- Yellow gel food colouring
- 8 Creme Eggs (full size, unwrapped)
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat.
- When it's about half melted, add the dark chocolate, the milk chocolate.and the golden syrup.Over a very low heat, continue to melt it all. Stir until it's thick and well combined.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes until it's cooled slightly.
- Add the mini Creme Eggs, the marshmallows and the digestive biscuits, stir until everything is well coated.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with baking paper and press the mixture firmly in.
- Meanwhile melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of steaming water. Make sure you keep the temperature very low as white chocolate can seize easily.
- Take half of the melted chocolate and put in another small bowl, colour until very deep yellow using the gel food colour, just a very small amount at a time.
- Drizzle the white chocolate and the coloured white chocolate over the rocky road, cut the full size Creme Eggs in half and sit in the chocolate, pressing in firmly.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Turn out of the tin and cut into small chunks using a very sharp knife.
So what are you waiting for? Get your fundraising kit and whip up a batch of Creme Egg Rocky Road for Sport Relief (Obviously taste testing beforehand is compulsory.)
Pin it for later..
Disclosure: Sport Relief asked me to give them a mention, but I was not compensated for this, just happy to help as I think it’s a great cause.